From Paul Smith <paul.sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject Re: SMTP Appender Threshold
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:32:16 GMT
By default, the SMTPAppender _waits_ for an ERROR level logging event to
arrive, and sends with it the BufferSize # of previous events before it
inside the email for use in context.  Think of the Buffer as a sliding
window of events that gets triggered by the arrival of Error.

There are some configuration parameters to set which allow you to
determine exactly what is the appropriate trigger, an ERROR level event
is just the default.

Consult the JavaDocs on the SMTPAppender for more information, or Ceki's
book "The Complete Log4j Manual" is an excellent source for this.

cheers,

Paul