From Jeff_Mycha...@nlgroup.ca
Subject RE: Advice needed
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:16:05 GMT

Thanks for the reply, guy's

This helps alot.

"Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com> on 09/17/2003 10:15:57 AM

Please respond to "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>

To:    "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:

Subject:    RE: Advice needed

Howdy,

>      1 - Is there an upper file limit?

Only what's imposed by your filesystem.  2GB by default on many
filesystems I believe.

>      2 - As I understand it Log4j *will not* shut down our app if it
has a
>problem.

You understand correctly.

>      3 - Is it bad practice to allow log files to grow that big?

I would say yes, unless you have (and want to use) some sort of
extracting tool.  When they're that big they're too verbose and long for
a human to analyze in a reasonable amount of time.

>                      We will probably keep our logging quite verbose
for
>the first while when we go live.

Why?  A big part of log4j is the ability to turn verbosity on/off at
runtime.  I would start with it off and use a mechanism like the log4j
sandbox configuration servlet to turn on selected classes/packages at
runtime in production as the need arises.  Or even configureAndWatch if
you're not in a webapp environment.

>                      Should be rolling on file size instead of date?

Either policy can make sense, depending on your app.  As I believe what
I said above, our log files for a given day tend to be quite small (<
10K) and I roll on date, not size.

>          Can we roll on both date and file size? ie: new file each day
>unless it reaches a certain size.

Not until log4j 1.3 or unless you write a custom appender that combined
RollingFileAppender and DailyRollingFileAppender functionality.

Yoav Shapira

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.