From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject Interesting clover-related issue
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:12:03 GMT

Howdy,
I use log4j as you all know ;)  To observe good performance practices, I
surround my logger.debug statements in if(logger.isDebugEnabled())
blocks.  All works well.

I have many JUnit tests, and integrated unit test coverage reporting
with Clover (http://www.thecortex.net/clover/).

Let's say I'm testing class SomeObject, and the JUnit class is
SomeObjectTester.  In my tests, I want to exercise the logger.debug
blocks as well for maximum coverage, so prior to starting the tests I do
the following in the SomeObjectTester class:
Logger someObjectLogger = Logger.getLogger(SomeObject.class.getName());
someObjectLogger.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);

And that works fine, no problems, the debug blocks are exercised.
However, because all the if(logger.isDebugEnabled()) checks are true,
never false, I can never get 100% code coverage.  So one solution would
be to run all the tests twice, once with debug-level logging enabled for
the tested class, and once with a higher level threshold.

But that seems annoying, slow, not elegant.  Has anyone run into this
before, come up or can think of a different solution to getting 100%
code coverage for this coding pattern?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics