From <Mark.Pri...@ngc.com>
Subject RE: How discouraged are custom LoggerFactories?
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:29:41 GMT
Kevin,

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.  There is no reason to create all loggers
at startup.  They will automatically be created and cached by the Hierarchy (the default LoggerRepository)
when they are first used.  You do not need your own Logger Factory for that.  I am using my
own logger Factory to set the ResourceBundle on each logger since there is no way to do that
in the standard log4j model.

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Klinemeier [mailto:zipwow@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 5:31 PM
To: log4j-user
Subject: How discouraged are custom LoggerFactories?

I see in the documentation for the properties configurator that making
your own Logger Factories is discouraged, and hence undocumented.  From
looking at list archives, it seems like at least a few people are doing
it anyway.

Is this really discouraged, and what kind of problems am I setting
myself up for?  I'm taking a different approach to configuration,
looking things up in a repository as they're created, rather than
creating all the loggers at startup.  The only way I see to do that is
to make my own factory that looks up their configuration when they're
requested from it...

Kevin Klinemeier

Java Developer,
Expeditors International