From "Bansemir, Carsten" <Carsten.Banse...@huk-coburg.de>
Subject AW: DailyRollingFileAppender with filesize option
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:04:25 GMT
Since this is almost a FAQ but an (real good) Answer is nowhere to find in the list-archive
(yes, I searched it more than 1 times), i want to specify the question so that it's really
an unanswered question:

First some things to say:

- there is an Implementation of a combined DailyRollingFileAppender and RollingFileAppender,
called      CompositeRollingAppender, and with this Appender you can choose the Rolling Behavior
(1=by size, 2=by date, and 3=both I think)

- BUT there is a Problem with the DailyRollingFileAppender running under windows, because
the java method renameTo() doesn't work fine with Threads logging to a file, when the rollover
happens (after midnight some Threads are still logging to yesterdays logfile (see mailing
list).

- this Problem is fixed by an Appender called DailyRollingFileAppenderExt (see mailing list)

- the CompositeRollingAppender has the same Problem than the DailyRollingFileAppender, so
I can't use it.

- I also know that there gonna be big changes in Rolling Strategys in the next Ant release,
which fixes this Problem.

- but for now there is no (i found none) working Implementation of a Combined Appender wich
rolls by size and by date.

Now, here comes the question:

So, I want to know if there's a combination of DailyRollingFileAppenderExt and RollingFileAppender,
or some complete new designed Appender with the same functionality ?

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----