From "Milind Rao" <mili...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Comments and Questions section of your book
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:58:15 GMT
On a related topic, I was going to buy the book, but was wondering if a newer edition will
be released shortly with
changes in log4j 1.3.  One thing I hate is reading a technical book and then having to read
it all over again, because
some stuff changed in how I should go about.  Can't be helped in our field except in a case
like this with a new version
imminent.  I'm especially interested in the adapters and the JDBCAppender which may change.

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:09:27 +0200, Ceki Glc wrote:

>Craig,
>
>I could have indeed dwelled more on SocketAppender and discussed the
>SockerServer application instead of just SimpleSocketServer. I believe
>SockerServer was omitted because it was considered as uninteresting and/or
>too technical. Indeed, SockerServer relies on multiple LoggerRepository
>instances, a concept introduced only in later chapters. Anyway, I am taking
>note of your comment and will accommodate your request in later editions.
>
>As for your message, if it was sent on the mailing list than it should be
>in the archives. We do not remove or censor messages, except what is
>blatantly spam devoid of any relation to log4j or logging.
>
>At 09:10 AM 8/6/2003 +0100, craig ryan wrote:
>>Hello Ceki,
>>
>>I did not see a response to this from you, I'm quite interested to know if
>>this is an area you intend to cover in future publications? I also cannot
>>locate my first email on the log4j archive, has it been removed for some
>>reason?
>>
>>regards,
>>craig.
>>

>>>Hello Ceki,
>>>I have just obtained a copy of your log4j book (Feb 2003, first edition)
>>>with a specific interest in remote logging. I'm curious to know why the
>>>book briefly covers SocketAppender while offering little discussion of
>>>possible server side implementations beyond mention of the command line
>>>driven SimpleSocketServer example? Similarly, I noticed SocketNode and
>>>SocketServer classes in the 1.2.8 javadoc though no mention of either in
>>>the book, at least not in the index or any of the sections of the book
>>>which I've covered so far. Perhaps I've missed them, any pointers to the
>>>relevent material would be appreciated.
>>>BTW, under http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/
>>>the sample XML file links under  org.apache.log4j.xml.examples.XMLSample
>>>do not appear to be valid links at present.
>>>regards,
>>>craig.
>>

>>--
>>Craig Ryan, Principal Engineer, Network365
>>Glencormack Business Park, Kilmacanogue, Co. Wicklow, Ireland
>>tel +353 1 2764500 fax +353 1 2764533 web www.network365.com
>>--
>>Network365 enables the mobile lifestyle with mzone, a secure payments,
>>personalization and identifiction platform.
>>Winner of Best Wireless Application Developer Award,
>>GSM Association Awards 2002
>>

>--
>Ceki For log4j documentation consider "The complete log4j manual"
>      ISBN: 2970036908 http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp

Regards
Milind