From "Tim Davidson" <tim.david...@greenhatconsulting.com>
Subject RE: Newbie how to place logfile under tomcat logs
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:48:48 GMT

PropertyConfigurator.configure(p);

 but its not picking up our file in the JAR

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 2:42 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: Newbie how to place logfile under tomcat logs

Howdy,

> Thanks, thats a help but because of the setup of our application, I
cant
>use the first two options, and I'd rather not define another properties
>file just to store ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/logs.txt. Is there any way I
can
>do it programatically? What are the other options?

No.  It would be against the spirit, if not the letter, or the servlet
specification for a servlet to be able to find out such details about
its container.  Even the approaches I showed before weren't that
portable.  This is like those perennial "how can I find out what port
the server is running on in my servlet's init() method?" (You can't with
certainty/portability).

Other options include adding a JNDI entry for your log file path into
tomcat's server.xml and then doing a JNDI lookup in your servlet's init
method, or mangling your log4j configuration together with tomcat's
commons-logging configuration.  The latter is just cruising for a
bruising, and the former is too container-specific (requires modifying
server.xml) for my preferences, so I didn't include them before.

Typically the Ant option is the one I like best, but I guess you don't
use Any to deploy/package your application?

Yoav Shapira