From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Creating log files relative to the web applications root directory?
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:47:14 GMT

Howdy,

>Ummmm, so basically then it is not possible to define a directory path
in
>the log4j.xml properties file so that log files are placed relative to
the
>web apps root directory?  Or for that matter relative to any known
anchor
>point like the server root directory?
>
>A problem we have is that we deploy .war files by sending the package
>the
>server gods who then drop it into the webapps directory.  Alas we don't

This is a typical scenario.  As Senor Ebersole suggested, you would
reach agreement with the server admins on a particular directory or
other repository where you can log.  You would then use the System
property or JNDI approach I illustrated in previous messages in this
thread, except they set the property (or setup server.xml for JNDI), not
you.  Your app should complain and/or use a default setup
(BasicConfigurator.configure() for example) if this property is not
found.

>based machine and the production servers are hosted on a flavor of
Unix.
>Hard coding a directory path like "C:\..\" may work when doing the dev
work
>under Windows but just don't kind of cut it on a Unix file system when
it
>comes time to deployment.

Even if you didn't have a mixed system deployment, hard-coding is a bad
idea ;)

I would throw out one other type of option for this case: if you control
some servers, but not the ones you deploy to, you could have your apps
send logging messages to the servers you control, e.g. via a
SocketAppender or JMSAppender, or JDBCAppender even.  Then you can
figure out how to persist the messages yourself.

Yoav Shapira