From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Creating log files relative to the web applications root directory?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:05:28 GMT

Howdy,
What I've seen done to achieve this is have my ant deployment script
fill the value when copying log4j.xml over.  So in log4j.xml, you'd have

<param name="File" value="@logFilePath@" />

And in your ant script, you set filtering="true" when copying log4j.xml,
and replac the logFilePath token with the actual (absolute) path.

As an aside, note that the servlet container is not required to give you
write access under your webapp's root.  In fact, many server admins
dislike this, as they prefer a centralized log location for their
systems.  But if you're the server admin, you're king ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

HH:mm:ss}
>%-5p (%t) %l - %m%n"/>
>        </layout>
>    </appender>
>
>    <root>
>        <priority value="debug" />
>        <appender-ref ref="rf"/>
>    </root>
>
></log4j:configuration>
>
>I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24 on a Win XP and 2k box for development and
Tomcat