From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: calling DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch() 2 times
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:17:52 GMT

Howdy,

>What should happen if the configureAndWatch() function is called twice?
>Are the previous settings erased? Are they accumulated ?

It wouldn't be that hard to simply test this and see what happens ;)

But looking at the code, you see:

- configureAndWatch always creates a new XMLWatchdog, so you will have
two XMLWatchdogs watching over the file.

- Each XMLWatchdog would call DOMConfigurator#doConfigure(filename,
repository) when the file changes, so this method will get called twice.
So this is extra overhead that should be avoided if possible.

- The configuration file will get parsed again with a new parser

- Parsing will replace where found and add where not found.  So if
there's already a logger for class, for example, it will be retrieved if
it exists and reconfigured, or a new one will be created if one doesn't
exist.

You can walk through the rest of DOMConfigurator if you feel like it ;)
This is one issue where the test is easy so I wouldn't even spend time
looking at the code ;)

Yoav Shapira