From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Location of log files
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2003 17:54:18 GMT

Howdy,
This is a common problem, and you have several options.

>The logging works fine. The problem is specifying the location of the
log
>file.
>I use log4j.xml to configure log4j. In there I have to specify the
location
>of the
>log file as absolute path. This creates a problem because we have to
edit

You don't have to specify the path as absolute: it can be relative (to
the working directory), and it can contain environment variables.

>log4j.xml
>during each deployment of our application to edit the location of the
log
>file.

Another option is to automate this by copying the log4j.xml file with
filtering="true" in Ant.  In log4j.xml you'd have a token value for the
log file path, e.g. @logFilePath@, and when deploying you'd have Ant
replace this value with a value coming from an Ant property.

>I attempted to solve the problem by adding the following code in a
utility
>class
>
>		rootLogger = Logger.getRootLogger();
>		FileAppender fp = (FileAppender)
>rootLogger.getAppender("LOGFILE");

This is yet another option, the pure programmatic way.  I find this
useful some time, but cleaner if you create the appender
programmatically as well, i.e.
Layout l = ...
String logFilePath = ....
Appender app = new FileAppder(l, logFilePath);
Logger.getRootLogger().addAppender(app)

Yoav Shapira