From "Farrell, Timothy" <Timothy.Farr...@Compuware.com>
Subject RE: New issue on Log4J initialization
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:10:30 GMT
Jake,

Before I go on I want to thank you for all your help and patience.

I decided to test something out and totally removed my application and all
instances of our log4j-1.2.8 jar file.

Guess what happens?

I still get the error:

"Log4j: WARN No appenders could be found for logger
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax).  Please initialize the log4j
system properly."

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks again.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:hoju@visi.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 10:45 AM
To: Log4J Users List

At 09:25 AM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Jake,
>
>Having done as you said I am now getting a log file generated

Glad you got things going.  What do you think was the difference?  Can you
pinpoint the one change that made things start working?  It would be good
to know for future users having the same or similar problems.

>, although I
>still get the original error message from Tomcat:
>
>"Log4j: WARN No appenders could be found for logger
>org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.sax).  Please initialize the log4j
>system properly."
>
>Any way to get that message to stop displaying?

Did you put a copy of log4j.jar back into common/lib?  That error is coming
from commons-logging finding Log4j and using it in preference to j2sdk1.4.x
logging, but if Log4j doesn't, then, find its configuration, you will get
that error.  Note that commons-logging does a bunch of classloading
trickery to find and load external logging packages.  It is entirely
possible that it might be using the context class loader to find Log4j,
thus being able to bypass the normal Java2 classloader hierarchy (where
only classloader higher in the hierarchy are visible).  However, I just
tested having log4j.jar in my WEB-INF/lib and not in common/lib and
commons-logging in common/lib couldn't see it (and, therefore, didn't get
the Log4j error), so it is most likely that you have log4j.jar in
common/lib (or shared/lib) or some other place where commons-logging in
Tomcat can see log4j.jar.  Remove Log4j.jar and you won't see that
error....or, I suppose, you could add log4j.xml or log4j.properties to
common/classes and all would be well.

Jake

Set
> >the classpath as needed in scripts.  That way, you won't force libraries
> >that aren't needed or collide with other libraries on every app you run.
> >
> >Just to be clear.  Are you running Tomcat or Websphere?  I can't tell you
> >what the behavior in Websphere will be.  Tomcat should definitely work
for
> >logging, though.
> >
> >BTW, what does your app consist of?  Does it use Struts or anything else
> >requiring commons-logging?  That's the most evil invention to come out of
> >the Apache project.  In my experience, it just messes up everything.  If
> >this is an issue with commons-logging, you'll have to take it up with
them.

> >BTW, I will be leaving for a mini vacation shortly, so someone else is
> >probably going to have to take the reins on this one if you require more
> >help.
> >
> >good luck!
> >
> >Jake
> >
> >At 11:11 AM 8/8/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> > >Actually that is the message I am getting (I just abbreviated it a
bit).

> > >In my application the log4j.jar file does not exist in the common/lib
> > >directory of Tomcat.  This file only exists in the web-inf/lib
directory
>of
> > >my application.
> > >
> > >Could this be attributed to my environmental settings:
> > >.;E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\providerutil.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\com.ibm.mqjms.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\ldap.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\jta.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\jndi.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\jms.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\connector.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\fscontext.jar;
> > >E:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere MQ\Java\lib\com.ibm.mq.jar;
> > >E:\jakarta-log4j-1.2.8\dist\lib\log4j-1.2.8;E:\istrobe20jars\dom4j.jar;
> > >E:\Tomcat 4.1\common\lib\servlet.jar;
> > >E:\Tomcat 4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar;
> > >E:\Sandbox\build\classes;
> > >C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin;
> > >E:\Ant1.5.3\apache-ant-1.5.3-1\lib\ant.jar;
> > >E:\Ant1.5.3\apache-ant-1.5.3-1\lib\optional.jar
> > >
> > >Thanks for hanging in there.
> > >
> > >Sincerely,
> > >
> > >Tim

and then destroy it.