From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: Separate configs for different webapps
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:53:41 GMT
At 09:07 AM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Howdy,
>Thanks Jake for adding the links: your solution will work, I've tried it
>myself in the past.
>
>That said, I fully agree with Senor Coast's advice to not share jars
>across webapps, even if they're exactly the same.  Keep all the jars for
>your webapp, including common ones, in WEB-INF/lib.  Or just deploy as
>one WAR file.  Webapps are supposed to be self-contained, and you will
>save yourself many configuration and debugging hassles if you stick to
>this principle.

Sure, but is there even a choice under a server like JBoss where they have
their single classloader concept?  I say this theoretically, not from
experience logging under JBoss, but it seems like a valid theoretical
problem if there aren't separate classloaders.  Also, disregarding the
specific container being used,  if you were deploying an EJB project where
you wanted a single logging configuration for the whole app including
servlets, would you be able to set this up from the servlet?  Are EJB's
supposed to be able to have access to classes in WEB-INF/lib?  I would
think not since it isn't guaranteed that the EJB's even exist in the same
JVM.  Sorry, just haven't explored logging in these cases as much as with
servlet apps.

Jake