From Larry Young <lyo...@dalmatian.com>
Subject Re: discreet log types
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:52:00 GMT
Paul,

         Yes, I need to be able to specify which class may display which
set of discreet types.  For example, I might have "com.*" allowed to
display ERROR, but then override that for "com.xyz.MyClass" to display only
TIMING,  "com.abc.def.*" to display METHOD_TRACE & TIMING, and
"com.abc.dataaccess.*" to display DB_ACCESS.

         I've been looking at the filter solution based on your original
suggestion (thanks!).  But if I'm not mistaken, Filters can only be applied
to Appenders, not Loggers.  So I would have to define multiple appenders,
one for each logger that I have, or rather one for each logger I explicitly
define in the config file.  That would seem to be rather cumbersome.  And
using Ceki's solution, each logger is based on the type, so the filter
would still apply to all classes, since there is no class information in
the LogEvent class.  I could solve that using MDC, but I am still missing
the critical piece which ties a specific class/package to a list of allowed
logging types.

         The trick it seems to me is that I need to define the permitted
logging types per class/package in the config file, just the way logging
levels are defined today, either in conjunction with or as a replacement
for.  Ultimately, if I want to be able to enable/disable logging types by a
specific class/package (just like levels are), then I need to build that
association somewhere.  I can define it either in the log4j config file, or
in a separate config file (obviously, the fewer config files, the
better!).  And that association needs to be maintained in memory at runtime
either with the current logger sitting in the default repository, or in a
new logger class in a separate repository, or in a totally separate global
collection associating loggers to their allowed types.

         I am sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well.  I have a
pretty clear idea in my head, but perhaps I'm not communicating it very
well.  Thanks for all your input!

         I am still interested to hear if anyone on the list thinks that
the idea of logging by discreet types is of interest and would be a useful
feature for others out there besides myself.  BTW, I'll be out tomorrow, so
I won't be checking my email again until Monday.  Have a good weekend!

--- regards ---
Larry