From Larry Young <lyo...@dalmatian.com>
Subject RE: discreet logging types - revisited
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:37:53 GMT
Yoav,

         Yes, these are both ideas that I've been looking at.  If I change
Logger (either wrap or create a new one), then I will probably use a
separate repository to avoid the problems that Ceki discusses in his book.

         As for Filters, the problem there is that Filters are attached to
Appenders, not to Loggers.  In my first post two weeks ago, Paul responded
with the same suggestion, but since the permitted types will vary by each
logger, I would have to either build a parallel hierarchy to hold the types
for each logger, or define appenders for each logger that I wanted to
change the permitted types (and that could get rather ugly).  I understand
how to use MDC to tag the LogEvent with the type, but then I need to see if
that logger should allow that type, that needs to be stored either with the
logger, or in yet another "global" collection keyed by logger.

         And again, I'm not trying to say that levels are bad, it just that
they are only one way of determining what should get logged.  Thanks for
the suggestions!

--- regards ---
Larry