From Larry Young <lyo...@dalmatian.com>
Subject discreet logging types - revisited
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:09:31 GMT
Hi all,

         Well, I'm still looking at how to use discreet logging types
instead of the Level to control what messages are "enabled".  The
difficulty resides in the need to enable/disable certain log types by
package/class name.  BTW, I posted my original message on 7/30/03 if you
are interested.

         Basically, the way I've always built logging systems is by
defining a set of discreet types to be used by the developers, and then
allowed those types to be enabled/disabled individually.  Unfortunately the
"level" concept is fairly hard-wired into log4j.  I say "unfortunately" not
because levels are bad, but because there is no way to expand or get-around
them with an alternate approach.  Actually, levels can be viewed as a set
of discreet types with an implicit ordering/relationship between them, but
in log4j, there is no way to control the relationship test.

         Before I go on too much (which I do!), is there anyone else who is
interested in discussing the idea of replacing the "level" with "discreet
types" in the log4j package??  Basically I'm at a point where I need to
make some decisions regarding how to proceed.  If other members are
interested in pursuing this idea, then I'll explore the idea of modifying
the Logger classes (et. al.) to replace the level with types, with the
intention of folding those changes back into the product.  But if no one is
interested, I'll just make some small mods to Logger for my own purposes
and handle it as a "one-off" type situation.  In either case, I intend to
move forward with log4j!  It has many features which I'm planning to use in
the future (like that IMAppender being discussed!!).  Mostly its a matter
of whether I do a complete implementation to replace levels, or just a
quick fix to solve my problems.

         Thoughts, comments ???  Ceki, as one of the main champions for
log4j, do you have any input?

--- regards ---
Larry