From Charles Hudak <CHu...@arrowheadgrp.com>
Subject FileAppender
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 19:01:46 GMT
Greetings,

When setting up a file appender, the docs say that if the file doesn't
exist, it is created. This is true, with the following caveat: if one or
more of the directories do not exist, the file is not created. This causes
problems if I want to setup a new server to log to a log directory that
hasn't been created yet. It adds administrative complexity to require the
deployer to know that the directory needs to be created. The code should be
smart enough to do this.

Does anyone know if more recent releases of log4j have fixed this?

If not, can this enhancment be made (or should I make it myself)? All you
really need to do is a File.createDirs() in FileAppender.setFile(...).

Charles Hudak
Software Engineering Manager

Arrowhead General Insurance/YouZoom, Inc.
chudak@arrowheadgrp.com
858.320.6800x6344