From M.Langenb...@resource.de
Subject Problems with Xalan/Xerces using Log4J 1.2.3 with WebSphere 4.01
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 14:06:23 GMT
Hi,

I've developed a servlet-based application that is running on WebSphere
4.01 (on AIX) and is doing some XSL-transformations on XML-files using
Xalan and Xerces. Since I switched logging to Log4J we experience some
strange problems concerning the XSL-scripts, i.e. scripts that were working
fine before (except for some warnings because of variables being used
without prior declaration) now produce fatal errors.

Of course it's easy to just fix the scripts (i.e. declare the variables)
and we'll certainly do this, but what really concerns me is, that there
seems to be a dependency between Log4J and Xalan/Xerces. However I don't
have any clue why, because all relevant classes seem to be in different
packages and therefor shouldn't interfere.

The problem appears with different versions of Xalan and Xerces, though
primarily we use Xalan 2.0.0 and Xerces 1.2.1 (the versions that are
contained in WebSphere 4.01). I put the log4j.jar (version 1.2.3) in the
WebSphere's "lib/app" directory and tried with and without putting Xalan
and Xerces into the "WEB-INF/lib" directory of my application (because I
thought it might be depending on the order in which the classes are loaded
and classes in "WEB-INF/lib" should be loaded before those in "lib/app" and
these again before those in "lib", where the Xalan and Xerces WebSphere is
using reside), but it doesn't make any difference.

Does anybody have any idea what might be the reason for this problem and
how I can solve this without switching back to my own logging classes (as I
already mentioned above, just fixing the scripts is not enought, because we
cannot tolerate a dependency between Log4J and Xalan/Xerces)?

I suppose that somehow the Xalan/Xerces classes get access to some of the
Log4J XML/XSL-related classes. These classes are newer than the classes
contained in the Xalan/Xerces versions that we're using and therefor more
strict, which is why they not only warn when a variable in the XSL is used
without prior declaration but throw an exception and stop further
processing. But I don't have any idea why this happens and how I can avoid
this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Markus.