From M.Langenb...@resource.de
Subject Re: Problems with Xalan/Xerces using Log4J 1.2.3 with WebSphere 4.01
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:38:24 GMT

Hi Tom,

could you send me the classpath settings of your manifest.mf, so I'm sure I
test with the same configuration.

Thanks,
Markus.

                      "Tom Marsh"

                      <marsht1@nitesco.        To:       "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>,

                      com>                      log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org

                                               cc:

                      04.09.2002 10:55         Subject:  Re: Problems with Xalan/Xerces using
Log4J 1.2.3 with WebSphere 4.01
                      Please respond to

                      "Log4J Users

                      List"

Marcus:

We're also doing something very similar. We have log4j.jar in our .ear
file, along with xalan.jar and xerces.jar. The manifest.mf file
contains a classpath entry for the jars.

Tom

> Hi,
>
> I've developed a servlet-based application that is running on
WebSphere
> 4.01 (on AIX) and is doing some XSL-transformations on XML-files using
> Xalan and Xerces. Since I switched logging to Log4J we experience some
> strange problems concerning the XSL-scripts, i.e. scripts that were
working
> fine before (except for some warnings because of variables being used
> without prior declaration) now produce fatal errors.
>
> Of course it's easy to just fix the scripts (i.e. declare the
variables)
> and we'll certainly do this, but what really concerns me is, that
there
> seems to be a dependency between Log4J and Xalan/Xerces. However I
don't
> have any clue why, because all relevant classes seem to be in
different
> packages and therefor shouldn't interfere.
>
> The problem appears with different versions of Xalan and Xerces,
though
> primarily we use Xalan 2.0.0 and Xerces 1.2.1 (the versions that are
> contained in WebSphere 4.01). I put the log4j.jar (version 1.2.3) in
the
> WebSphere's "lib/app" directory and tried with and without putting
Xalan
> and Xerces into the "WEB-INF/lib" directory of my application
(because I
> thought it might be depending on the order in which the classes are
loaded
> and classes in "WEB-INF/lib" should be loaded before those
in "lib/app" and
> these again before those in "lib", where the Xalan and Xerces
WebSphere is

help@jakarta.apache.org>

--
NeoMail - Webmail that doesn't suck... as much.
http://neomail.sourceforge.net

For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:log4j-user-help@jakarta.apache.org