From "Bin Yan" <bx...@health.state.ny.us>
Subject Re: UNIX file handler problem used up on log4j log files
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:36:53 GMT

Thanks for the reply. Currently, that's how we do it, very simply:

 theLog = Category.getInstance(logName.toString());

    if (..... ) {
        theLog.fatal(theMessage);

}

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Tony Yan (Bin)
 BHNSM/DOH/NYS
 Tel: 518-473-1809
 Email: bxy02@health.state.ny.us

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                      Ceki Gülcü

                      <ceki@qos.ch>            To:       "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                                               cc:

                      08/30/2002 09:28         Subject:  Re: UNIX file handler problem used
up on log4j log files
                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Log4J Users

                      List"

At 08:52 30.08.2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a problem with file handler in UNIX. It is related to log4j, but
may
>not caused by it.
>
>There are two web applications running, both using log4j. One is
>Solaris/Weblogic and the other
>Solaris/iPlanet. The WL one never had problem with file logging. But the
>iPlanet always will have overflow file handler issue and eventually after
>days the UNIX file resources is used up and appl. get locked.
>
>I understand log4j is thread safe. I also checked the code of log4j. It
>seems that the files (appenders) get opened and kept open until
>specifically get reset() or close(). My question is that
>
>(a) Should we close the appenders each event is logged? Or we should
>justleave them open.

No, that would be excruciatingly slow.

>(b) For the file hander of UNIX, for one file (appender) why would it use
>multiple handler for one file? why not use kind of pooling access to the
>file.

How do you configure the appenders? Do you dynamically create a large
number of appenders without ever closing them?

--
Ceki

For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:log4j-user-help@jakarta.apache.org