From "Bin Yan" <bx...@health.state.ny.us>
Subject UNIX file handler problem used up on log4j log files
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:52:08 GMT
I have a problem with file handler in UNIX. It is related to log4j, but may
not caused by it.

There are two web applications running, both using log4j. One is
Solaris/Weblogic and the other
Solaris/iPlanet. The WL one never had problem with file logging. But the
iPlanet always will have overflow file handler issue and eventually after
days the UNIX file resources is used up and appl. get locked.

I understand log4j is thread safe. I also checked the code of log4j. It
seems that the files (appenders) get opened and kept open until
specifically get reset() or close(). My question is that

(a) Should we close the appenders each event is logged? Or we should
justleave them open.
(b) For the file hander of UNIX, for one file (appender) why would it use
multiple handler for one file? why not use kind of pooling access to the
file.

Please clarify if I have any misunderstandins.

Tony Yan