From "Alan Yost" <Alan.Y...@yambay.com>
Subject RE: Getting the root directory of my ear file from a servlet.
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:27:31 GMT
Thanks for the quick reply - I had just moved onto this and now I'm trying to work out the
syntax required for it.

If I have a file in the root of mydeploy.ear - what is the correct syntax for when using getResource?

At present I am using       URL myFileURL =  config.getServletContext().getResource("log4j.lcf");

but this returns a null.

I have tried several variations on this but to no avail.  Do you any examples of the above
type of syntax working?

Regards and thanks in advance

Alan.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
	Sent: Fri 9/08/2002 12:07 AM
	To: Log4J Users List
	Subject: RE: Getting the root directory of my ear file from a servlet.

	Hi,

	The servlet spec does not guarantee you will get a real path at all when
	deploying from a war.

	You should never rely on getRealPath() in that case.  See the JavaDoc
	for getRealPath() for a more

	complete explanation.  There have also been several discussions on this
	matter on the tomcat-user mailing

	list recently.

	Instead, you should use getResource() or getResourceAsStream() in your
	servlet.

	Yoav Shapira
	Millennium ChemInformatics