From "Chris Bailey" <ch...@codeintensity.com>
Subject RE: A basic and genuine question
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:50:19 GMT
In terms of Chainsaw, you just run it as a Java app, specifying the main
class.  This is not obvious from the regular docs unless you look at the
JavaDocs.  But, the basic deal would be to run Chainsaw before your app (so
you don't get the annoying "can't connect" messages from your app, by doing
something similar to:

  java -cp log4j.jar org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.Main

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 6:15 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: A basic and genuine question

Hi,
A basic and genuine question?  OK ;)

>But log4j is writing output on terminal window though i did not mention
>rootlogger and consoleapplender
>anywhere, i found that the log4j writes output on terminal window
default.

>How can i disable this from printing the log info on window..

That typically means it's misconfigured.  Could it be you're calling
BasicConfigurator.configure() before calling XMLConfigurator the first
time?  Alternativaly, please post your configuration file and
initialization code and we'll be able to help more.

>the next question is I'm not able to use below 2nd statement with
>XMLLayout.

Do you get an error?  Not the output you expect?  What do you mean by
"not able to use" ?

>and please let me know how to use chainsaw?

The ChainSaw docs are pretty simple.  Are you having difficulties with a
specific part?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics