From "Christian, William" <william.christ...@cingular.com>
Subject RE: XMLLayout & Chainsaw
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:44:09 GMT
I had the very same trouble. The answered I received on the same question
was that it should work with any JAXP compliant parser. However, I have not
been able to get it to parse correctly using anything other than Crimson.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hane [mailto:chris@hane.com]
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 4:39 AM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: Re: XMLLayout & Chainsaw

Figures that I would get it working after asking for help.  Turns out it
was the version of the xml parser.  While chainsaw will startup with
xerces-1.x it will not parse the file.  I tried the XercesJ-2.x (the latest
one) and could not get it to work.  I did get it to work with the crimson
parser - at least the one bundled with tomcat 4.0....

Question, should it work with Xerces 2.x?

Thanks,
Chris....

At 8/12/2002 02:55 AM, you wrote:

>Hopefully this is a quick question.  I'm trying to get Chainsaw to read a
>file created with XMLLayout.  I've read the XMLLayout javadoc and have not
>been able to figure out exactly what I need to do to modify the output so
>that chainsaw will read the file in.  I will admit that I am not an XML
expert.

>If I have the following in a file called log.xml what do I need to add
>around it in order that I can open the file in chainsaw.  Also, I'm using
>the latest version of log4j 1.2.6.
>
><log4j:event logger="com.test" timestamp="1029135031807" level="DEBUG"
>thread="main">
><log4j:message><![CDATA[Create new test]]></log4j:message>
><log4j:NDC><![CDATA[I am test 1]]></log4j:NDC>
></log4j:event>
>
>I've tried different variations of the <!DOCTYPE> syntax in the XMLLayout
>javadoc but seem to be missing something.  For all of the files I try to
>read I get a dialog box poping up in chainsaw saying  "error parsing file
>- null".  The expection message thrown is:
>
>[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - load
>file called
>[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - Need to
>load a file
>[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - loading
>the contents of C:\Data\CVSHOME\itsolut\dist\log.xml
>[AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - caught
>an exception loading the file
>java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:925)
>         at
> org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction.loadFile(LoadXMLAction.java:126)
>         at

org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction.actionPerformed(LoadXMLAction.java:8
4)

<mailto:log4j-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>