From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Article Info
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:47:29 GMT

Vikram,

Here are my comments:

   Note that for the build to be successful, you will need to have the
   Java Management Extensions (JMX) API in your classpath, as well.

JMX API is not required to build log4j.

   The signs indicate the ordering of the logging that log4j follows.

No signs appear in the text.

   Open up config-simple.properties in a text editor. It contains three
   lines (besides comments). The first line, log4j.rootLogger=debug, R
   tells log4j that the level of the root logger is at DEBUG. This is the
   default and is not required. The value after the comma, R, is
   required. It tells log4j that the root logger has an appender attached
   to it and that the name of the appender is "R." The rest of the lines
   in this file tell log4j about the properties of this appender R.

"R" is not the most descriptive name for a ConsoleAppender. In the
following examples, appenders are also named as "R". Thus, there is a
risk that the reader might be induced to believe that "R" is a name
with magical properties.

   A note of warning, though, about using the JDBCAppender in the
   current version of log4j: the documentation says that it is going to
   be completely replaced in the future with a revamped version. Although
   the inner working of this appender might change, the way one goes
   about using it is unlikely to change.

There is a strong chance that JDBCAppender will be re-written with
fixed columns which will result in a simpler interface.

In the JDBC example you do not provide instructions for configuring
the database table. You should at least say that it is the reader's
responsibility to configure the table.

   So what code changes are needed to start logging to the database now?
   None! That is where the enormous power of log4j really manifests
   itself. To start logging to the database, we don't need to make any
   code changes.

Albeit the WEB-INF/web.xml file has to be modified.

I enjoyed reading your article. It is written in an easy-to-read style
and covers much ground in a short amount of space. Moreover, your sample
web-application conveys useful information succinctly.

The log4j website has been updated with a link to your article.

--
Ceki