From Chris Hane <ch...@hane.com>
Subject XMLLayout & Chainsaw
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:55:47 GMT

Hopefully this is a quick question.  I'm trying to get Chainsaw to read a
file created with XMLLayout.  I've read the XMLLayout javadoc and have not
been able to figure out exactly what I need to do to modify the output so
that chainsaw will read the file in.  I will admit that I am not an XML expert.

If I have the following in a file called log.xml what do I need to add
around it in order that I can open the file in chainsaw.  Also, I'm using
the latest version of log4j 1.2.6.

<log4j:event logger="com.test" timestamp="1029135031807" level="DEBUG"
<log4j:message><![CDATA[Create new test]]></log4j:message>
<log4j:NDC><![CDATA[I am test 1]]></log4j:NDC>

I've tried different variations of the <!DOCTYPE> syntax in the XMLLayout
javadoc but seem to be missing something.  For all of the files I try to
read I get a dialog box poping up in chainsaw saying  "error parsing file -
null".  The expection message thrown is:

[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - load file
[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - Need to
load a file
[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - loading
the contents of C:\Data\CVSHOME\itsolut\dist\log.xml
[AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - caught an
exception loading the file
         at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:925)

Thanks in advance,