From "Adrian Brock" <warj...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: again multiple components using log4j causes problems
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:55:15 GMT
Answers in line.

Regards,
Adrian

>From: "Roland Berger" <berger_r@bluewin.ch>
>To: "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>,
><Adrian.Brock@HappeningTimes.com>
>Subject: again multiple components using log4j causes problems
>Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:05:00 +0200
>
>Hi all
>
>I have some questions related to Repositories for log4J:
>
>A) Ceki and Adrian had a discussion in January about one Repositorie for
>each application in a Servlet/EJB Container (Tomcat/JBoss) to allow
>configuration and logging only for the own application.
>
>Question A1: What is the status now? Does Tomcat and JBoss have a
>RepositorySelector implemented? (I can not find information in the docs on
>this)

Sorry, I haven't had time to look at/do this yet.
The good news is that JBoss3.0 has been using log4j 1.2 for
about a month now.

>B) The problem I have is that I use struts 1.1 BETA togehter with Tomcat
>4.0.4. Since struts uses also log4j I receive the log messages from struts
>in my web application.
>
>Question B1: Is it possible to have more than one repository in one web
>application? If yes, how to do?

Ceki and I agreed that the best approach is to select a repository
based on the classloader. Since each jar in jboss gets its own
classloader it would be possible to separate the application logging
from its support jars.

>Question B2: What is the best practice right now to suppres the log
>messages
>from struts in my web app?

I image struts defines categories/loggers of the form
org.apache.struts.* (this is a guess)
you can either suppress or redirect the messages using log4j.xml