From "DONNIE HALE" <DH...@longaberger.com>
Subject Re: Best practice for using Log4j, EJB, Struts,and WebLogic6.1together
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 18:11:33 GMT
First, I'd highly recommend against log4j.properties existing in the system classpath that
WebLogic runs under. The only thing I've found that, for a typical application, would go in
WebLogic's system classpath is JDBC drivers. Everything else should go in the .ear file.

Second, our use of a "lib" directory within the .ear flie is just a convention we chose, as
is the use of an "etc" directory in the .ear file for property files. We use the EJB manifest's
Class-Path attribute to refer to those directories at the .ear file level. My earlier message
in this thread included an example Class-Path attribute for our .ear file format.

Donnie

>>> manikandan.balasubramanian@wipro.com 02/07/02 01:12AM >>>
Hi,

    We are also using the same architecture.But I have the following questions

1) What if log4j.properties exists in the classpath ?Will log4j use the file inside the EAR
or the one in the classpath.How to resolve this ?
2)Our Directory structure is

    src

     EJB-MODULES
     META-INF

            application.xml
    WEB-MODULES

Now where exactly should I place log4j.jar.I could not understand this from J2EE blueprints
or from your reply.Could you just elaborate on this "lib" folder in EAR.I have been struggling
with this for quite some time now.

TIA,
Mani

DONNIE HALE wrote:

> We don't do any programmatic startup stuff. It's all in our log4j.properties file.
>
> We do use NDCs. So we have a servlet filter which sets the NDC to a value prefixed with
"JSP" when the app is in the "web app space", and a dynamic proxy which sets the NDC to a
value prefixed with "EJB" when the app is in the EJB space.