From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: compile error upgrading from log4j v1.2 alpha 7 to v1.2 beta 2
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 20:41:07 GMT

T Master,

Subsequent to your query, I added the following entry into the
Troubleshooting guide:

Compilation errors when using setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level) from
the Category class.

If you are getting complaints such as the following from the compiler,
do not worry there is an easy solution. But first here is the problem
reported by the compiler:

   [javac] setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level) in org.apache.log4j.Category
cannot be applied to (org.apache.log4j.Priority)
   [javac]         logger.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);

where logger is a variable of type Logger.

Casting any of the Level.DEBUG, Level.INFO, Level.WARN, Level.ERROR,
Level.FATAL arguments to Level will make the compiler happy. As in

    logger.setLevel((Level) Level.DEBUG);

This cast is always safe because log4j 1.2 will never produce anything
but Level objects, never Priority objects.

At 12:16 11.02.2002 -0700, T Master wrote:

>I have upgrade my log4j.jar to use the v1.2 beta 2  version now.
>I now get several compilation errors:
>  setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level) in org.apache.log4j.Category cannot be
> applied
>to (org.apache.log4j.Priority)
>     +AFs-javac+AF0-             myLogger.setLevel(Level.FATAL)+ADs-
>myLogger is of type Logger.
>Interestingly, there is no problem when using Level.OFF or
>Level.ALL  (they are
>defined in the Level class).
>I thought this was my own build error, so i cleaned my classes and rebuilt.
>Same thing.
>I repeated with the v1.2 alpha 7 jar, and no problem. I repeat, and no
>I repeat using the beta 2 jar, and the compile error appears again.
>I haven't looked at the source code between alpha 7 and beta 2 yet.
>The javadocs do allow the method call though for setLevel(Level) which is
>inherited from Category.
>Any tips?
>T Master

Ceki Gülcü