From Ali Mesbah <...@West.NL>
Subject appenders?
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:49:11 GMT
I have decided to use log4j in a project we are working on at WEST
consulting.

I have a question concerning the use of appenders in log4j.
The problem is as follows:
We would like to extend the functionality of our logging by writing a
new
appender which has a buffer in it for the log-messeges that are not
actually
logged but kept in this buffer for later use (fatal exceptions).
Whether a log-message is actually logged or kept in the buffer depends
on
its priority.
What I have seen from the hierarchy of the appenders in log4j is that it

is not possible to make a (appender) class which can take different
types of
appenders (fileAppender, RollingFileAppender,...) as parameter to
delegate to.
It is only possible to extend one of the appender classes at a time and
this
is a limitation which we do not want in our system.

The question is thus: is there a solution for the desired functionality
described above?

Yours sincerely,

-- Ali Mesbah - ali@west.nl - West Consulting B.V. --