From ESteph...@bcbscny.org
Subject Re: Vanishing Messages - Problem with WebSphere on s/390
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2001 15:05:42 GMT

In short, yes. The problem occurs when we run WebSphere under MVS control
as a started task. According to all documentation and other code, output to
standard out/err gets routed to the sysprint DD statement in the JCL that
was used to start the process. We were able to use a FileAppender to get
around the problem.

                    Paul Glezen

                    pglezen              cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: Vanishing Messages - Problem with
WebSphere on
                                          s/390

                    03-09-2001

                    15:04

                    Please respond

                    to "LOG4J

                    Users Mailing

                    List"

EStephens@bcbscny.org wrote:

> We are trying to test logging from within a servlet using a
> ConsoleAppender. It appears (via lots of System.out.println statements)
> that the logging facility is working in the sense that it is picking up
the
> category, but no messages are appearing in our sysprint/sysout.
>
> My conclusion is that the messages are being lost when the calls to the
> writers are being made, but I could be wrong.  I did test something
running
> under "pure" USS by just telnet'ing into the machine and running a app
from
> the cmd line and that worked fine.

Eric,

You mentioned that it worked using "pure" USS via telnet.  What were you
using before?  TSO via a Rumba session?  If so, could that affect what
happens to stdout?

- Paul
--
Beware of bugs in the above code.  I have
only proved it correct, not tried it.