From mark.rus...@pncbank.com
Subject Re: Newbie: socket appender-Addition
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:55:35 GMT

I could be wrong but I think you are sending serialized Java strings down
to the socket.  VB will not be able to read them it does not know what a
serialized Java String is.

Mark Russell
PNC
412-768-9603

                    "Alex Colic"

                    <alex.colic@pop        To:     "Log4j" <log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    -ware.com>             cc:

                                           Subject:     Newbie: socket appender-Addition

                    09/21/2001

                    11:10 AM

                    Please respond

                    to "LOG4J Users

                    Mailing List"

Hi,

sorry I forgot to include my code samples.

My Properties file has the following:

log4j.appender.SOCKET=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.SOCKET.RemoteHost=ws30
log4j.appender.SOCKET.Port=10003
log4j.appender.SOCKET.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t]
(%F:%L)-(%M)-(%d{ISO8601})-%m%n

One of my classes, Monitor, has the following:

 private static final Category
cat=Category.getInstance(Monitor.class.getName());

and within the methods I have:

    if(cat.isInfoEnabled())
      {
        cat.info("Port: " + port);
      }

I think the messages are going down the socket but the VB app is not
reading
them correctly. I think some of the characters are unprintable and it seems
that the string is being truncated into two character sets.

Any help is appreciated.

Alex