From "Aaron Smuts" <aaron.smu...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Expanding SocketServer
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:16:18 GMT
Ya, the difference is important, but my point is irrelevant here anyway,
sonce the ejb itself won't be doing any network io.  That clients sockets
are permitted is soewhat strange though, since file io is discouraged. . . .

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Christopher Taylor [mailto:cstaylor@pacbell.net]
  Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 12:14 PM
  To: LOG4J Users Mailing List
  Subject: Re: Expanding SocketServer

  Aaron,

  Are you sure about that?  I thought you couldn't open server sockets, but
client sockets were okay:

  From the EJB spec (page 491-492 of EJB 2.0):
    The file system APIs are not well-suited for business components to
access data. Business components should use a resource manager API, such as
JDBC, to store data.

    • An enterprise bean must not attempt to listen on a socket, accept
connections on a socket, or use a socket for multicast.

    The EJB architecture allows an enterprise bean instance to be a network
socket client, but it does not allow it to be a network server. Allowing the
instance to become a network server would conflict with the basic function
of the enterprise bean-- to serve the EJB clients.

  -Chris