From Jim Moore <jim.mo...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: Use of cygwin on windows Platform
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:07:01 GMT
Log4j is 100% pure Java.  Just grab the log4j.jar file, include it in your
classpath, and start logging.

Log4j use ant as its build tool, which is also 100% Java.  (If you don't
currently use ant, you're really missing out. http://jakarta.apache.org/ant
)  I'm not sure where you got the impression that cygwin was needed for
anything.  I'm not aware of anything in the Jakarta project that needs
cygwin...

-Jim Moore

P.S. Always make sure you post in plain text instead of HTML.  Not everybody
has HTML capable email programs...

-----Original Message-----
From: MyBabyJoeJoe@aol.com [mailto:MyBabyJoeJoe@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2001 7:46 PM
To: log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org
Cc: Joe.Cicelski@sf.frb.org
Subject: Use of cygwin on windows Platform

I am interested in looking at log4j as a logging mechanism for two
applications currently slated for rollout in the next two months.

My question is about the use of cygwin as a part of that process:
1. Is it used ONLY during deployment, or at runtime also?

2. Do I also need the gnucc compiler for creation?

As a non-Unix  developer and deployer, I am not conversant with all of the
Unix based utilities, and their use, and wonder why these added pieces are
part of an "All Java" solution...

I need to justify the installation of additional software, and provide
assurances to the auditors that this additional software is both necessary
and safe.