From Jim Moore <jim.mo...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: configuration error
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:46:59 GMT
SMTPAppender has an "EvaluatorClass" property that gives the
TriggeringEventEvaluator class to use.  The default one only fires on errors
or above, so if you want different behavior you need to specify your own.

-Jim Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: dogmatix@parijat.info.com.np
[mailto:dogmatix@parijat.info.com.np]On Behalf Of BillWorker 2i
Development Team
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 1:14 AM
To: LOG4J Users Mailing List
Subject: configuration error

Hi!

My configuration file:
      1 log4j.rootCategory=debug, stdout, R, email
      2
      3
      4 # standard output
      5 log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
      6 log4j.appender.stdout.File=System.out
      7 log4j.appender.stdout.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
      8 log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p (%F:%L) -
%m%n
      9
     10 # file appender
     11 log4j.appender.R=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
     12 log4j.appender.R.File=mylogfile.log
     13 log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
     14 log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=3
     15 log4j.appender.R.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
     16 log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p - %m%n
     17
     18 # email appender
     19 log4j.appender.email=org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender
     20 log4j.appender.email.To=someone@somewhere.com
     21 log4j.appender.email.From=someone@somewhere.com
     22 log4j.appender.email.Subject=something important
    23 log4j.appender.email.SMTPHost=my.mailserver.com
    24 log4j.appender.email.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
     25 log4j.appender.email.layout.ConversionPattern=%d - %m%n

The error  message I am getting:
log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (billworker.lifts).
log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.

My problem:
I log most of the stuff under billworker category, and all was working
fine, except email.

Then when I added a servlet with billworker.lift category things I got
this error. I have not modified my log4j.conf file that I use to
configure the log4j system.

My Questions:
Why is this the case? Should billworker.lifts just take the appenders
from the root category?

Also why is the email not working? It works when I use the same
configuration file with the SMTP test program in the log4j source
directory.

How do I make the email send an email for each log message instead of
batch emails?

I am using version 1.0.4!
--
BillWorker 2i Development Team,