logging-log4j-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Johnson, Clay" <clay.john...@vignette.com>
Subject RE: DOM Configuration specific problem
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:48:07 GMT
Sorry for all the interruptions, but I wanted to update, that I found the
syntax error with the threshold param for category element.  I thought
surely that would fix it, but no.  I'm down to the following xml which works
in small test cases, but fails in the real system.

- - - -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd">

<log4j:configuration configDebug="true">

	<appender name="WORKFLOW"
class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
		<param name="File" value="workflow.log"/>
		<param name="Threshold" value="debug"/>
		<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
			<param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{ISO8601}
[%t] %p %c %x: %m%n"/>
		</layout>
	</appender>

	<category name="com.vignette.cms.server.ejb"
class="com.vignette.logging.LoggingManager">
		<param name="Threshold" value="debug"/>
		<appender-ref ref="WORKFLOW"/>
	</category>

</log4j:configuration>

- - - -

I've deliberately removed the root element, as though all I now want is the
ejb package.  Again, when I test this with a dummy problem (a helloworld
with that package name) it works fine.  But when I run it for real - where
there's lots of classes in the ejb package and below generating lots of
events, the first one causes:

- - - -

log4j: System property is :weblogic.xml.jaxp.RegistryDocumentBuilderFactory
log4j: Standard DocumentBuilderFactory search succeded.
log4j: DocumentBuilderFactory is:
weblogic.xml.jaxp.RegistryDocumentBuilderFactory
log4j: URL to log4j.dtd is
[jar:file:/D:/src/main/itree-debug/lib/vgnshared.jar!/org/apache/log4j/xml/l
og4j.dtd].
log4j: configDebug attribute= "true".
log4j: Disable override="null".
log4j: Disable ="null".
log4j: Desired category sub-class: [com.vignette.logging.LoggingManager]
log4j: Setting [com.vignette.cms.server.ejb] additivity to [true].
log4j: Class name: [org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender]
log4j: Handling parameter "File=workflow.log"
log4j: Handling parameter "Threshold=debug"
log4j: Parsing layout of class: "org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout"
log4j: Handling parameter "ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%t] %p %c %x:
%m%n"
log4j: Adding appender named [WORKFLOW] to category
[com.vignette.cms.server.ejb].
log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category
(com.vignette.cms.server.ejb.CMSOpsAuth).
log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.


One event is written to the workflow.log files, and nothing else.  I know
there are tons of events coming from that package and below.  The third and
second to last log4j messages above are puzzling.









> -----Original Message-----
> From: Johnson, Clay [mailto:clay.johnson@vignette.com]
> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 4:32 PM
> To: Log4j-User@Jakarta. Apache. Org (E-mail)
> Subject: DOM Configuration specific problem
> 
> 
> Below is a copy of my xml file, followed by configDebug output.  The
> objective was to log everything to debug.log (ROOT) and also 
> log anything
> from the specified category to workflow.log.  The configDebug 
> output would
> appear correct.  However, while everything logs to debug.log, 
> including
> various events from the specified category, nothing ever 
> shows up in the
> workflow.log.  The workflow.log file, nonetheless, is created. 
> 
> I have done similar and more complex routing and sorting in 
> the past without
> any difficulty, and frankly, without much thought - it always 
> just worked.
> 
> I'm using 1.1b1.
> 
> 
> -----------------------------------------
> 
> 
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> 
> <!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd">
> 
> <log4j:configuration configDebug="true">
> 
> 	<appender name="DEBUG" 
> class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
> 		<param name="File" value="debug.log"/>
> 		<param name="Threshold" value="debug"/>
> 		<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
> 			<param name="ConversionPattern" 
> value="%d{ISO8601}
> [%t] %p %c %x: %m%n"/>
> 		</layout>
> 	</appender>
> 
> 
> 	<appender name="WORKFLOW"
> class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
> 		<param name="File" value="workflow.log"/>
> 		<param name="Threshold" value="debug"/>
> 		<layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
> 			<param name="ConversionPattern" 
> value="%d{ISO8601}
> [%t] %p %c %x: %m%n"/>
> 		</layout>
> 	</appender>
> 
> 	<category name="com.vignette.cms.server.ejb.WfProcessMgrBean"
> class="com.vignette.logging.LoggingManager">
> 		<priority value="DEBUG"/>
> 		<appender-ref ref="WORKFLOW"/>
> 	</category>
> 
> 
> 	<root>
> 		<priority value="DEBUG"/>
> 		<appender-ref ref="DEBUG"/>
> 	</root>
> 
> </log4j:configuration>
> 
> 
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> 
> log4j: System property is 
> :weblogic.xml.jaxp.RegistryDocumentBuilderFactory
> log4j: Standard DocumentBuilderFactory search succeded.
> log4j: DocumentBuilderFactory is:
> weblogic.xml.jaxp.RegistryDocumentBuilderFactory
> log4j: URL to log4j.dtd is
> [jar:file:/D:/src/main/itree-debug/lib/vgnshared.jar!/org/apac
> he/log4j/xml/l
> og4j.dtd].
> log4j: configDebug attribute= "true".
> log4j: Disable override="null".
> log4j: Disable ="null".
> log4j: Desired category sub-class: 
> [com.vignette.logging.LoggingManager]
> log4j: Setting [com.vignette.cms.server.ejb.WfProcessMgrBean] 
> additivity to
> [true].
> log4j: Priority value for 
> com.vignette.cms.server.ejb.WfProcessMgrBean is
> [DEBUG].
> log4j: com.vignette.cms.server.ejb.WfProcessMgrBean priority 
> set to DEBUG
> log4j: Class name: [org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender]
> log4j: Handling parameter "File=workflow.log"
> log4j: Handling parameter "Threshold=debug"
> log4j: Parsing layout of class: "org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout"
> log4j: Handling parameter "ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%t] 
> %p %c %x:
> %m%n"
> log4j: Adding appender named [WORKFLOW] to category
> [com.vignette.cms.server.ejb.WfProcessMgrBean].
> log4j: Priority value for root is  [DEBUG].
> log4j: root priority set to DEBUG
> log4j: Class name: [org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender]
> log4j: Handling parameter "File=debug.log"
> log4j: Handling parameter "Threshold=debug"
> log4j: Parsing layout of class: "org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout"
> log4j: Handling parameter "ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} [%t] 
> %p %c %x:
> %m%n"
> log4j: Adding appender named [DEBUG] to category [root].
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message