From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: AW: Changing log4j config on the fly with 'configureAndWatch()'
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:29:16 GMT

OK, that makes sense.

Here are some relevant rules.

0) When reading a new config file, the existing log4j configuration is not reset.

1) See rule 0.

3) Whenever a category element is seen in the config file, then all the existing appenders
for THAT category are closed and then removed from the category. After that, any appenders
referenced by the category element are parsed and initialized if they haven't been previously.

4) From rule 0, it follows that existing categories that are not mentioned in the config file
remain untouched.

5) Did I mention rule 1?

In your case, a.b.c.myclass.foo and a.b.c.myclass.foo.doo are referring to a closed instance
of CMD. The category element for a.b.c.myclass caused CMD to be closed and opened again.

By the way, why are setting the additivity for a.b.c.myclass.foo and a.b.c.myclass.foo.doo
to false? Why don't you let them inherit CMD from a.b.c.myclass? Hope this helps, Ceki

Ceki Gülcü