From "Bram Smeets" <b...@smarthaven.com>
Subject Logging in compliance to J2EE specification.
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2001 12:30:46 GMT
I'm currently looking into the issue of logging within a J2EE/EJB environment.

There are a lot of logging solutions available, but there seems to be no solution that can
be used in conformance with the J2EE/EJB specification. The main problem is that there's no
way to initialize a system-wide logging solution at startup. All solutions to this problem
that I've seen so far are based on vendor-specific services for system-wide initialization.
This is an option if you're developing an application for a certain application server, but
we're developing a component library. So we don't want to restrict the number of application
servers our components can be deployed on and we don't want to include server-specific classes.

So my main question is: Are there any J2EE/EJB compatible logging facilities available?
Which implies the question of whether Log4j and Sun's JSR47 API are J2EE compliant?

I would like to receive some input on this discussion.

Bram Smeets
SmartHaven