From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: 1.1beta not initializing properly
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:37:16 GMT

I tried the following config file (see below) that worked fine with org.apache.log4j.test.Shallow
program (under 1.1b1. Can you please try it too?

Otherwise, I have the following remarks. In the PatternLayout conversion pattern use %n instead
of \n, the former is portable. ContextPrinting has no effect for the PatternLayout. You did
well to define the log4j.configDebug property in the congfig file.

Here is the config file I used:

# See debug output from log4j:
log4j.configDebug=true

#
# Set options for appender named "A1".
#

log4j.appender.A1                          = org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.A1.File                     = log/lecandolog.log
log4j.appender.A1.layout                   = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern = %d [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

# Root category set to ERROR using the A1 appender defined above.

log4j.rootCategory                         = ERROR, A1
log4j.configDebug                          = true

Regards, Ceki

At 08:56 14.03.2001 +0100, Marcus Ahnve wrote:
>My mistake, I considered our setup pretty basic but of course, here it
>is.
>
>#
># Set options for appender named "A1".
>#
>
>log4j.appender.A1                          = org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
>log4j.appender.A1.File                     = log/lecandolog.log
>log4j.appender.A1.layout                   = org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>log4j.appender.A1.layout.ContextPrinting   = enabled
>log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern = %d [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m\n
>
># Root category set to ERROR using the A1 appender defined above.
>
>log4j.rootCategory                         = ERROR, A1
>log4j.configDebug                          = true
>/Marcus
>
>Anders Kristensen wrote:
>>
>> Marcus,
>>
>> You'd get better responses if you include your log4j.properties file.
>>
>> Marcus Ahnve wrote:
>> >
>> > When trying out the new beta with the very same log4j.properties as
>> > we've succesfully used with 1.0.4, I cannot get the rootCategory
>> > settings to work. Instead I get a message telling me that no appenders
>> > were found for whatever class.
>> >
>> > I've tried to find information on changes regarding this in the new
>> > version without success. Has anybody else seen this, or have I missed
>> > something?
>> >
>> > /Marcus

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

----
Ceki Gülcü          Web:   http://qos.ch
av. de Rumine 5     email: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)
CH-1005 Lausanne           ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
Switzerland         Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15