From "James Richardson" <james.richard...@db.com>
Subject Re: need signed version of log4j.jar...
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:59:32 GMT

Theres an article on the java signing process in this months Dr Dobbs.

James

---------------------------------------- Message History ----------------------------------------

From: Tom Palmer <tom.palmer@interpath.net> on 11/01/2001 09:54

cc:   "Stockwell, Ted" <ted.stockwell@xqsite.com>
Subject:  Re: need signed version of log4j.jar...

Ted -

Seems like signing the jar file yourself *is* the right solution since
you can sign all your jars with the same key - one that you control and
provide to your clients for installation and permission granting.  What
are we missing?

Ceki Gulcu wrote:

> Ted,
>
> The act of signing is not a problem. However, wouldn't the public signer's
> key need to be registered somewhere? Otherwise Ali could claim to be Ahmet.
> What is Java's security model? Is something signed deemed good as long as
> it is signed regardless of who the identity of the signed? That would be
> pretty silly.
>
> My question is really do I (or Apache) need to register with some CA? Any
> enlightenment on this issue would be appreciated. Ceki
>
> At 16:43 10.01.2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Since this is my first post to the log4j list I would first like to say
> >THANK YOU for making this tool available.  It is very fine work.
> >
> >Basically, this post is a request that you distribute digitally signed
> >versions of log4j.jar and log4j-core.jar.
> >
> >Here's why...
> >I have just started using Log4J in an application that I intend to
> >distribute using Java Web Start (http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart).
> >
> >Java Web Start basically downloads applications to a client machine and runs
> >the applications in a sandbox, much like a browser runs applets.
> >My application is distributed in a signed jar and because my application's
> >jar is signed my application can request that it be given all permissions on
> >the client machine on which it is running.
> >Third-party "extensions" that are used by my application, like log4j, may
> >inherit my application's permissions but only if the code is signed.  Since
> >the log4j.jar is not signed it is not granted any permissions at all by Java
> >WebStart and is therefore unusable (log4j immediately generates the
> >Exception shown below).
> >
> >Anyway, for now I will work around the problem by signing the jar file
> >myself but that's not the "right" solution.
> >
> >thanks,
> >ted stockwell
> >
> >BTW...if I can be of any help with this then please don't hesitate to let me
> >know (but e-mail me directly since I'm not a list subscriber).
> >

> >-------------------------------
> >java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.security.AccessControlException:
> >access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission log4j.configuration read)
> >at
> >java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java
> >:272)
> >at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:399)
> >
> >at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:545)
> >at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1278)
> >
> >at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:599)
> >at org.apache.log4j.Category.<clinit>(Category.java:135)
> >at Installer.<clinit>(Installer.java:48)
> >at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
> >at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:701)
> >at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:663)
> [...]

Tom Palmer                                  Interpath Communications
Interactive Technologies Consulting         1700 Perimeter Park West
tom.palmer@interpath.net                    Morrisville, NC 27560
919-253-5937
919-253-6586 (fax)