From Ceki Gülcü <...@urbanet.ch>
Subject Re: Error reporting from inside an Appender
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:32:04 GMT

Kevin,

In the latest log4j release (1.0.4), the FileAppender consistently uses its
errorHandler to report errors. It uses LogLog.error only once within the
closeWriterIfOurs method. This method is copied below:

   /**
      Close this.writer if opened by setFile or FileAppend(filename..)
   */
   protected
   void closeWriterIfOurs() {
     if(this.qwIsOurs && this.qw != null) {
       try {
            this.qw.close();
       }
       catch(java.io.IOException e) {
         LogLog.error("Could not close output stream " + qw, e);
       }
     }
   }

The rationale being that the user probably does not want to trigger a
possibly heavy error handling mechanism in case of an error while closing a
java.io.Writer. This is perhaps too smart an approach to do good. However,
I would hardly call it *madness*. I hope that this makes better sense. Ceki