From Ceki Gulcu <...@urbanet.ch>
Subject Re: Configuration in stateless objects?
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:47:37 GMT

Kirk,

I suppose you are aware of the static initialization procedure in
Category.java? When the Categroy class is loaded it will search for the
file "log4j.properties" in the classpath.

Furthermore, you can set the log4j.configuration system value to a file
path or a URL to parse a different file then "log4j.properties"  If the URL
ends in .xml then the DOMConfigurator will be used to parse the file.

There is an additional twist: if the URL has a reference part, then that
will be used as the class name of the configurator class.

For example if you invoke your application using the command line

      java
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/temp/myconfig.xyz#com.myCompany.myConfigurator
someCompany.someApplication

     then the log4j will be configured by a new instance of
com.myCompany.myConfigurator using the file referenced by
     file:/temp/myconfig.xyz.

Does this help? Ceki