From Ceki Gulcu <...@urbanet.ch>
Subject Re: Is Log4j getting into Jakarta?
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:38:59 GMT

Hi Guy,

It's not public yet but since you have asked: yes, log4j should become a
jakarta project in the next few days.

log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org which replace the old log4j-dev@log4j.org and
been automatically subscribed to the corresponding list on
jakarta.apache.org. The CVS repository has also moved to Apache.

There is a strong push to rename the package to "org.apache.log4j". I have
already committed to do this for the next major log4j release scheduled for
1Q 2001. If you have a good reason to oppose a name change, then let us
know so that we can raise the issue with the apache group.  This is your
chance to speak up.

Some Apache members have suggested abandoning the name "log4j" altogether.
I personally don't have a problem with that since I don't really like the
name log4j. I have proposed the name "cat" (for cat-egory) or equivalently
jakarta-cat. The package hierarchy would start at "org.apache.cat." Other
names/proposals are most welcome. Ceki