logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Logback performance improvements
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2017 23:50:35 GMT
Ceki has updated his numbers to include those reported on the mailing list. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpb5D7qnyye4W0RTlHUnXedYK98catNZytYIu5D91m0/edit#gid=0
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpb5D7qnyye4W0RTlHUnXedYK98catNZytYIu5D91m0/edit#gid=0>

I haven’t run the tests with Logback 1.2-SNAPSHOT but my numbers for my two MacBooks are
at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L67IhmUVvyLBWtC6iq0TMj-j0vrbKsUKWuZV0Nlqisk/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L67IhmUVvyLBWtC6iq0TMj-j0vrbKsUKWuZV0Nlqisk/edit?usp=sharing>.

Ralph

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, that is still the standard approach most people use and is the only way to provide
a head-to-head comparison against the logging frameworks.

> Ralph
>
>> On Feb 6, 2017, at 8:02 AM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> This is all in a synchronous appender, right? Either way, that's rather interesting.
>>
>> On 6 February 2017 at 07:54, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>> Someone posted numbers on the Logback user’s list that match mine.  It shows Logback
1.1.9 was pretty terrible, 1.1.10 is somewhat better and 1.2-SNAPSHOT is on par or slightly
better than Log4j 2.

>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Feb 5, 2017, at 3:25 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> I think we need some comparisons on the log4j side: file appender with 256k buffer
size, random access file appender with 256k buffer size (which appears to be the default),
and memory mapped file appender. It'd be cool to see how these compose with async logging
enabled in both log4j and logback.

>>> On 5 February 2017 at 16:06, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>> You should run the code at https://github.com/ceki/logback-perf <https://github.com/ceki/logback-perf>
to compare your results to Ceki’s.  You also should capture the cpubenchmark speed of your
processor and get the speed of your hard drive. I used Blackmagic speed test on my Mac. I
am capturing my results in a Google spreadsheet. I will post the like once I have it.

>>> Ralph

With Logback 1.10 and -t 4  now get

      Error  Units

See https://logback.qos.ch/news.html <https://logback.qos.ch/news.html> and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpb5D7qnyye4W0RTlHUnXedYK98catNZytYIu5D91m0/edit#gid=0
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpb5D7qnyye4W0RTlHUnXedYK98catNZytYIu5D91m0/edit#gid=0>.
I suspect we have a few optimizations we can make.