logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logback performance improvements
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 10:08:27 GMT
FYI, The write and flush methods in BufferedOutputStream are also synchronized, so we won't
be able to do away with synchronization completely.

In OutputStreamManager we synchronize multiple methods but these are nested calls. I thought
reentrant synchronization had negligible overhead but I haven't measured this myself.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 9, 2017, at 2:31, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> I’m pretty sure the problem we have is that a) we are synchronizing many methods and
b) we are synchronizing more than just the write. Unfortunately, I can’t figure out how
to reduce that based on how dispersed the code has gotten.

> Ralph
>
>> On Feb 8, 2017, at 10:14 AM, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried to modify FileManager to just use a BufferedOutputStream but discovered I
couldn’t as the layouts now require the ByteBuffer.

>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Feb 8, 2017, at 12:14 AM, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The append method isn’t synchronized but the writeBytes method acquires a lock.
His code is actually a lot simpler than ours in that it just uses a BufferedOutputStream and
he only obtains the lock when he is writing to it.

>>> Ralph

between Logback's appenders and Log4j's is that Logback isn't synchronized on the append method.

appender based on FileChannel or AsynchronousFileChannel instead of OutputStream?

list. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpb5D7qnyye4W0RTlHUnXedYK98catNZytYIu5D91m0/edit#gid=0

for my two MacBooks are at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L67IhmUVvyLBWtC6iq0TMj-j0vrbKsUKWuZV0Nlqisk/edit?usp=sharing.

is the only way to provide a head-to-head comparison against the logging frameworks.

match mine.  It shows Logback 1.1.9 was pretty terrible, 1.1.10 is somewhat better and 1.2-SNAPSHOT
is on par or slightly better than Log4j 2.

file appender with 256k buffer size, random access file appender with 256k buffer size (which
appears to be the default), and memory mapped file appender. It'd be cool to see how these
compose with async logging enabled in both log4j and logback.

to compare your results to Ceki’s.  You also should capture the cpubenchmark speed of your
processor and get the speed of your hard drive. I used Blackmagic speed test on my Mac. I
am capturing my results in a Google spreadsheet. I will post the like once I have it.

<garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
the build works on Windows again.

Slow CPU/Fast Hard drive category. With Logback 1.10 and -t 4  now get

             Mode  Samples        Score       Error  Units
       thrpt       20    98187.673 ±  4935.712  ops/s
    thrpt       20   842374.496 ±  6762.712  ops/s
    thrpt       20  1853062.583 ± 67032.225  ops/s
     thrpt       20  2036011.226 ± 53208.281  ops/s
   thrpt       20   999667.438 ± 12074.003  ops/s

at work. We don’t run anything directly on bare metal any more.

problems in the FileAppender. See https://logback.qos.ch/news.html and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cpb5D7qnyye4W0RTlHUnXedYK98catNZytYIu5D91m0/edit#gid=0.
I suspect we have a few optimizations we can make.