logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Java 9
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 00:30:03 GMT
Sorry, I forgot to reply. The specific thread begins with http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2016-May/040826.html
<http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2016-May/040826.html> and the
specific message is http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2016-May/041029.html
<http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2016-May/041029.html> where they
recommend getting the caller’s stack frame from each logging method.

Ralph

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can you point me at some info on that? What massive changes are needed?
>
> Remko
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 7, 2017, at 1:36, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:

>> I fixed the only problem I could find last week. However, we still have more to do
as we really need to support the StackWalker API and the “right” way to do it would require
massive changes. I also need to benchmark the cost of invoking the StackWalker API to return
the method’s caller to see what the impact would be to do it on every logging call.

well. See issue: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1359 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1359>>

>>> On 6 February 2017 at 09:56, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but is the new stack walking API
in Java 9 of any use for us? I believe applications/libraries like Log4j were supposed to
be the drivers behind this feature, but last time I checked they were not going to cater for
our use case (inspect the stack from the bottom up)...

>>> From a functional point of view, is anybody aware of anything outstanding we
need to fix for Log4j 2 to work correctly on Java 9?