logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Opinions or guidelines on what each logging level is for?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2017 07:30:54 GMT
I have some guidelines on a wiki for work. I will forward them when I get home.

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 1, 2017, at 8:29 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I had a meeting at work recently where a small debate was brought up as to what sorts
of things to log at each logging level. I had my own opinion about it, of course, but I noticed
that there are brief notes in the javadocs about each level (going back in the git logs, it
look like Ralph wrote those notes almost 6 years ago!) and that's about it when it comes to
any sort of specifics.

> Does anyone have some more elaborations on why you'd use each level? Or some more concrete
differences between, for example, error/warn and debug/trace? Perhaps some examples reflecting
how you've used it in the past or even custom logging levels you've added?

> In a related idea, I'm kind of thinking that a general page about logging concepts may
be useful for the manual, so I'd like to gather some opinions on said topics first.