logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: ThreadContextMap3
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 17:28:29 GMT
Yes, at this point it is water under the bridge. Let’s just worry about #3.

Ralph

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com> wrote:
>
> It will be hard to find a suitable name for ThreadContextMap2 since it adds two unrelated
things. Ideally it should be spitted into two interfaces, but I guess that will be hard to
do without breaking binary compatibility. I suggest we leave it as it is.

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Can we rename ThreadContextMap2 to something else, deprecate it, and have it extend the
new interface? Or does that break compatibility? Because if we can fix the naming scheme while
having "alias" interfaces stay in there (until a theoretical 3.x API), then it'd feel less
dirty.

> Also, Java 8 would have made this a lot easier thanks to default methods.
>
> On 17 January 2017 at 03:14, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> BTW, shouldn't we have a putAllValues(final Map<String, V> map) in ObjectThreadContextMap?
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Mikael Ståldal <mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>>
wrote:
> I think we named it ThreadContextMap3 since there was already an ThreadContextMap2 (which
is part of 2.7, and we are stuck with it).

> I am fine with renaming it to CleanableThreadContextMap (doing it not). But I think it
should still extend ThreadContextMap2 since it is not really independent of it.

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Also fine with renaming.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 17, 2017, at 9:07, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com <mailto:remko.popma@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> I think it was originally standalone and changed to the current extending interface
after feedback on the mailing list.

>> I'm fine with standalone interfaces and having the implementation implement multiple
interfaces.

>> Remko
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2017, at 6:25, Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> I agree on not extending interfaces. Some of the other context map interfaces
are standalone, and I don't see why TCM2 had to extend anything.

>>> On 16 January 2017 at 15:16, Apache <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com <mailto:ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>>
wrote:
>>> I presume it was named ThreadContextMap3 so there could be a ThreadContextMap4
since 3 extends 2 and 2 extends the first one.  Frankly, I dislike this practice very, very
much.  Instead, each interface should be named as you suggest and NOT extend the prior interface.
Instead, the implementation should declare that it implements each of these.

>>> Ralph

such a terrible interface name? All it adds is a removeAll(Iterable) method, so perhaps something
like CleanableThreadContextMap or RemovableThreadContextMap.

>>> --
>>> Matt Sicker <boards@gmail.com <mailto:boards@gmail.com>>
>

> --
>

> Mikael Ståldal
> Senior software developer
>
> Magine TV
> mikael.staldal@magine.com <mailto:mikael.staldal@magine.com>
> Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com  <http://www.magine.com/>
>
> Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are
not the addressee indicated in this message
> (or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver
this message to anyone. In such case,