logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Remko Popma (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (LOG4J2-1754) Multiple log files being created for rolling log4j2 conf in IBM Websphere
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2016 22:40:58 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1754?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15783886#comment-15783886
] 

Remko Popma commented on LOG4J2-1754:
-------------------------------------

@prayagupd Try setting status="trace" in the configuration. That will show internal Log4j
logging, giving details on what is happening during the rollover. 
. 

> Multiple log files being created for rolling log4j2 conf in IBM Websphere
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: LOG4J2-1754
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-1754
>             Project: Log4j 2
>          Issue Type: Question
>          Components: Appenders
>    Affects Versions: 2.5, 2.6.2
>         Environment: IBM Websphere, 
> java-1.8.0-ibm-1.8.0.3.20-1, 
> IBM Iseries, 
> log4j2 2.5, log4j 2.6.2
>            Reporter: prayagupd
>
> When I am testing my logs in IBM server with websphere 8, I see multiple log files created
at the same time, I don't know what's the logic behind it. My logrotate config for 10MB upto
10 files is as below, 
> {code}
> {
>   "configuration": {
>     "name": "logggg",
>     "appenders": {
>       "RollingFile": {
>         "name": "rollingFile",
>         "fileName": "/var/log/app/test_logging.log",
>         "filePattern": "/var/log/app/test_logging.log.%i",
>         "JSONLayout": {
>           "complete": false,
>           "compact": true,
>           "eventEol": true
>         },
>         "SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy": {
>           "size": "10 MB"
>         },
>         "DefaultRolloverStrategy": {
>           "max": "10"
>         }
>       }
>     },
>     "loggers": {
>       "root": {
>         "level": "DEBUG",
>         "appender-ref": {
>           "ref": "rollingFile"
>         }
>       }
>     }
>   }
> }
> {code}
> I haven't seen this problem in Tomcat on Linux server.
> Example, there's test_logging.log, test_logging.log.1 and test_logging.log.12 less than
10M 
> {code}
> total 82768
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root   682037 Dec 28 12:30 test_logging.log
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root     9513 Dec 28 12:26 test_logging12.log.1
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10491159 Dec 28 10:56 test_logging12.log.10
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10510210 Dec 28 12:26 test_logging12.log.2
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10493793 Dec 28 12:07 test_logging12.log.3
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10489715 Dec 28 11:56 test_logging12.log.4
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10487367 Dec 28 11:50 test_logging12.log.5
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root     7804 Dec 28 11:33 test_logging12.log.6
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10493965 Dec 28 11:33 test_logging12.log.7
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10485761 Dec 28 11:21 test_logging12.log.8
> -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10486961 Dec 28 11:10 test_logging12.log.9
> $ cat test_logging.log | wc -l
> 3161
> $ cat test_logging.log.1 | wc -l
> 14
> $ cat test_logging.log.6 | wc -l
> 14
> {code}
> After 10 mins, I see it only appending to the test_logging.log.
> {code}
> total 88560
> 70 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root  6612026 Dec 28 12:40 test_logging.log
> 69 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root     9513 Dec 28 12:26 test_logging.log.1
> 48 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10491159 Dec 28 10:56 test_logging.log.10
> 52 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10510210 Dec 28 12:26 test_logging.log.2
> 56 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10493793 Dec 28 12:07 test_logging.log.3
> 45 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10489715 Dec 28 11:56 test_logging.log.4
> 43 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10487367 Dec 28 11:50 test_logging.log.5
> 67 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root     7804 Dec 28 11:33 test_logging.log.6
> 39 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10493965 Dec 28 11:33 test_logging.log.7
> 68 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10485761 Dec 28 11:21 test_logging.log.8
> 59 -rw-rw-r-x. 1 4294770729 root 10486961 Dec 28 11:10 test_logging.log.9
> {code}
> Actually the application was up and running in production with log4j 1.x, so the issue
is the previous versions as well.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: log4j-dev-unsubscribe@logging.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: log4j-dev-help@logging.apache.org


Mime
View raw message