logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modules
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2016 03:03:47 GMT
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

> On 1 Oct 2016, at 11:34, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sep 30, 2016 7:15 PM, "Remko Popma" <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone send a link to the release procedures?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/logging/Log4j2ReleaseGuide
>
> Gary
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > On 1 Oct 2016, at 2:31, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I would have a “core” project and an “extras”, “extensions” or some
other name.  They are all already separate jars. I just want to split them out because they
don’t (or shouldn’t) change nearly as often as the core stuff - although we may get to
the point where core is pretty stable and we are actually adding to the extensions more than
we are working on core.

> >> If you look at Maven it has every plugin in its own project.  I am not really
looking for that. I am just looking for ways to make the release process less time consuming.

> >> Ralph

people of. I've met many developers (notably Spring fanboys) that are still in a monolithic
classpath mindset of "why bother splitting this up?"

single Logging Services project, or multiple ones that can be released as needed?

FYIW.

while Matt mentioned merging some back into Core.

jars) and reorging the system with a smaller core (everything except appenders), an all-appenders
module, and/or what some folks have mentioned: one module per appender (yikes!)

in, an uber jar with optional deps is the simplest to deal with. If I had to do an app for
a light bulb, I'd think differently ;-)